Place of work: Maputo (Mozambique), with field missions to Maputo Province and possibly other Provinces in the country
Application deadline: 30/11/2023
Planned start: asap
Contract type: fixed-term collaboration (project-based) contract
Duration: a first 6 (six) months contract subject to internal evaluation; a second contract of 12 (twelve) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first collaboration period
ICEI is a non-profit organisation that works with people and communities to improve social and economic conditions and promote inclusive, equitable and sustainable societies. For more information consult our website: ICEI
ICEI is looking for an Project Manager, who will also be the Provincial Coordinator for Maputo area. He/she will be in charge of managing and coordinating projects in the area of Maputo province, and with a special focus in the environment and climate thematic area. This initiative is part of the work that ICEI carries out in Mozambique through collaboration with local and international partners.
ICEI is looking for a PM to coordinate environmental projects in Mozambique. The main topics of our interventions are: management of marine-coastal systems (reforestation, rehabilitation and sustainable management of forest ecosystems -mangroves and miombo), development of environmentally and economically sustainable income-generating activities, strengthening of environmental governance, valorization of environmental heritage and responsible tourism, strengthening of civil society in environmental issues, climate change, sustainable management of natural resources, environmental advocacy, climate change awareness.
The PM is responsible for the technical aspects of the activities and the general management of the projects, including the management of RRHHs, relations with donors and other relevant stakeholders, the general and financial planning and management of the projects as well as the coordination of partners dealing with the different intervention pillars.
He/she is ICEI’s technical contact person in the environmental sector and coordinates activities and projects in Maputo Province, providing strategic vision and technical inputs.
He/she has an overall vision, can work both independently and in a team, possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills that he/she applies within the work team, with partners and with stakeholders at all levels.
He/she is problem-solving oriented, can handle stressful situations and contributes with creativity and innovation to ICEI’s objectives in the field of environmental protection, including actions in the field of responsible tourism and sustainable agriculture.
- Defines the annual planning of activities
- Prepares the annual planning of activities and administrative and management deadlines for the projects
- Elaborates the financial planning of the projects
- Participates in the design of new project proposals (needs identification, LF elaboration, partnership building, narrative drafting, financial plan etc.) under the coordination of the Country Representative
- Ensures that the project strategy and the system of project indicators and outcomes are based on the organization’s Theory of Change (where possible) and the donor’s priorities
- Delivery of periodic progress of the project document, QL and budget to the Country Representative for joint review
Operational management and monitoring
- Ensures compliance with quality standards in the implementation of initiatives under its management and the achievement of results through the execution of all operational aspects
- Is responsible for the correct application of procedures
- Supports the operational staff in the implementation of activities with appropriate management tools
- Periodically monitors the progress of the projects and is responsible for collecting, analysing and systematising monitoring data in close cooperation with M&E Officer
- Prepare narrative reports to be presented to donors
- Regularly coordinates with partners (local and international) for the organisation of activities, monitoring, preparation of reports and compliance with all internal partnership and donor regulations
- He/she periodically coordinates with the Communication Area in HQs, for the implementation of communication activities related to the project(s) under his/her responsibility
Administrative and financial management
- He/she is familiar with and correctly applies the contracts with donors and their procedures and cooperates with the administrative contact person verifying that the financial resources made available are spent in accordance with the project budgets and operational planning, and in accordance with the donor’s procedures
- Performs proper project management control
- Knows and respects internal and donor project and administrative deadlines (statements, reports, variants, extensions etc.)
- He/she is responsible for the correct application of administrative procedures regarding timing, deadlines, controls, flows and periodic activities
- Supports the administration in the submission of interim and final reports of the projects
- Coordinates the local partnerships
- Implements co-ordination mechanisms with the Country Representative
- Acts as a focal point for donors in the field
- Liaises with the Country Representative on strategic and general aspects
- Selects and coordinates the operational staff of the projects under its management, in cooperation with the Country Representative
- Liaises with the focal point and the responsible tourism expert in the Italy HQs for administrative and thematic aspects related to tourism
- Manages, coordinates and schedules the work of the RRHHs of its reference
- Ensures the training and supervision of the operational staff (internal and/or external) of the projects he/she manages
- In accordance with technical experts, defines the technical strategy for activities in the environment, natural resources and responsible tourism components
- In collaboration with partners, assesses and monitors the technical status of activities related to environmental and natural resource management, including the impact of marine-coastal ecosystem preservation and restoration actions, and activities in the responsible tourism area
- Oversees the work of the technical partners responsible for environmental and responsible tourism actions for coherent and coordinated action of project activities
- University Master’s degree in International Cooperation or equivalent obtained for at least 4 years
- At least 3 years’ experience as PM in development projects, preferably in the environmental sector, with responsibility for technical assistance and management
- Experience managing Italian and international donor-funded projects
- Ability to coordinate and build relationships with different partners (government, private sector, implementation partners)
- Degree in technical disciplines (Environment and Natural Sciences, Biology, or Tropical or Subtropical Agricultural Sciences or related and Tourism Management, Sustainable tourism or related) preferred
- Experience in technical assessments within marine ecology action preferred
- NbS intervention, ecological restoration and reforestation of mangroves and inland forests management experience preferred
- Previous work experience in East Africa and, in particular, in Mozambique will be an asset
- Knowledge of AICS and EC management, administrative and reporting procedures
- Good written and spoken knowledge of at least 2 of the following languages: Portuguese, English, Italian. At least A2/B1 knowledge of Portuguese is required.
- Ability to plan, manage and monitor activities
- Strong aptitude for teamwork, management, and coordination of work groups
- Excellent report writing skills
- Good knowledge of the Windows operating system and main application software (Word, Excel, PPT)
- Planning skills and use of management software tools
- Skills in the use of data collection and management software (Google Forms, Kobo Toolbox)
- Ability to use data analysis and visualization tools (Excel)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactivity and participation
- Aptitude for teamwork, management, and coordination of work groups
- Aptitude for problem-solving, working to objectives and multi-task management
- Organizational autonomy, initiative and creativity
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Integrity and respect for the organization’s values
- Willingness to travel within the national territory of the location is required.
- The position involves on-site presence (Maputo) and field missions
- Salary range:
- Italian residents: RAL (Retribuzione Annua Lorda): 34-40k euros annual (taxes to be calculated on the conventional taxable amount determined annually by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, for Italian workers abroad)
- Non-Italian residents: 38-45k euros gross salary (all tax and insurance charges to be borne by the candidate in his/her residence country according to national labour law).
The exact remuneration will be commensurate with the experience and suitability of the candidate and ICEI’s salary grid and policies
- Benefits: health insurance, 1 round-trip flight ticket per year.
- Qualified candidates interested in the position should send their applications by 19/11/2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating ‘PM Maputo selection’ in the subject line.
- The application must include:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae and consent to data processing
- a motivation letter
- 3 complete references (name, surname, role, email and telephone number) of persons with whom you have had a working or collaborative relationship (colleagues and/or direct contacts), with authorization to contact
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- ICEI reserves the right to close the position before the closing date for applications if a suitable candidate is identified.
- Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted
- The selection process respects the principle of equal opportunities (Dgls 198/2006) and EU anti-discrimination legislation, as well as ICEI’s Code of Ethics and Child Protection Policy (see https://icei.it/trasparenza/?lang=en)